If you like black beans, tomatoes, avocado, and tangy lime dressing all mixed together and loaded on top of crispy tortilla chips… You’ve come to the right place for this Cowboy Caviar Salad Recipe.
I don’t want to give any spoilers, but this easy cowboy caviar recipe may be the best one you’ve tasted. And if this is your first time trying cowboy caviar (otherwise known as Texas caviar), buckle up because it is so simple yet so delicious!
What Is Cowboy Caviar?
Cowboy caviar, otherwise known as Texas caviar or cowboy salad, is a bean-based mixture of tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño, and a tangy dressing mixed all together. Even though it is known as a salad, there is no lettuce to speak of.
This great recipe includes a lot of healthy, plant-based ingredients. It can be used as a simple dip with homemade tortilla chips, a delicious salad over a bed of lettuce, or a bean salad just enjoyed on its own! You can use this recipe as a healthy snack or full, filling meal; the choice is yours.
How To Serve Cowboy Caviar
Honestly, I enjoy this recipe loaded on top of a chip the most but there are other ways to serve cowboy caviar…
- As a side dish
- On top of tacos
- In a burrito
- Over a green salad
- Stuffed in a quesadilla with melted cheese
- Skip the jalapeño to make it less spicy, or keep the jalapeño and add a few dashes of hot sauce to add an extra kick.
- You can pretty much use any type of bean for this recipe (cannellini, great northern, pinto beans, etc.)
- Use green onion or sweet onion instead of red onion to make the salad milder.
- Add ½ tsp smoked paprika or chili powder to the dressing for a smokier taste.
- I recommend the red bell pepper or orange bell pepper to give it a sweeter taste, but you could substitute for green bell pepper.
A lot of ingredients can go well with this colorful cowboy caviar. Feel free to mix it up and use other plant-based ingredients if you’d like.
What You’ll Need
Roma tomatoes – any tomato variation will do, like cherry tomatoes or tomatoes from the vine.
Bell pepper – I recommend red or orange as it gives the recipe a sweeter flavor than green would.
Jalapeno pepper – leave out if you don’t like spice!
Fresh lime juice
Red wine vinegar – you can also use white or balsamic
Monk fruit sweetener – any type of sugar will do but monk fruit is the healthiest swap I’ve found for this ingredient.
Tortilla chips – Here’s a recipe to make your own oil-free chips!
How To Make Cowboy Caviar
Combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, black beans, black-eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.
Now add in the lime juice, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic powder. Stir well to combine.
Serve with tortilla chips and dig in!
Cowboy Caviar Salad
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Small bowl
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- 2 ripe avocados diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1 bell pepper diced (I’d recommend red or orange)
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeds removed diced into very small pieces
- 15 oz black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz black eyed peas rinsed and drained
- sweet corn thawed
- 1/4 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or white
- 1 teaspoon monk fruit sweetener
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Combine tomatoes, avocado, onion, black beans, black eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, and cilantro in a large bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Add the lime juice, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and garlic powder to this same bowl and mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips and dig in!
How Long Does It Last In The Fridge?
Cowboy caviar holds up very well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an air-tight container. Simply stir the salad after taking it out of the fridge and it’s ready to be enjoyed again.
Can You Freeze Cowboy Caviar?
Due to the fresh veggies and herbs, cowboy caviar does not freeze well so I would not recommend it.
More Plant-Based Salad Recipes
Salads are a must in any plant-based diet, but they don’t have to be bland or boring. Try these other delicious, “Planted” salad recipes!
This might very well be the simplest plant-based potato salad ever… make it in just 30 minutes! This classic plant-based potato salad recipe is a tried and true, comforting side dish to any summertime meal.
Whole food, plant-based greek quinoa salad bursting with flavor! This quinoa salad is great to have on-hand (in the fridge) for any occasion. Picnics, water parks, road trips, camping, lake days, any of your Summer activities could be made better with some healthy, greek quinoa salad.
This salad and dressing takes only 10 minutes to put together, is super nutritious and energizing, and will fill you up with fiber and protein for whatever your plans for the day may be.