What says Summer like a delicious sandwich enjoyed at a park or lake? That’s how I envision everyone consuming this chickpea salad sandwich, but of course you could also enjoy it slumped on a couch or around the dining table with family. There’s really no wrong way to enjoy a chickpea salad sandwich.
I used to love egg or tuna salad sandwiches before I went plant-based. Then, I had to look into yummy alternatives. I now use chickpeas or jackfruit to make my salad sandwiches and they are (dare I say) even better! This chickpea salad sandwich recipe uses minimal ingredients and is so easy to make. Enjoy on top your favorite bread along with crispy lettuce, juicy tomato, pickles, and extra condiments of your choosing.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Health Benefits
This chickpea salad recipe is a great alternative to egg or tuna salad sandwiches. It contains much less saturated fat, more high-quality plant protein, and health-promoting seasonings. Chickpeas are going to be our featured ingredient (for obvious reasons). So let’s look into 3 reasons chickpeas can benefit our health.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
1. Chickpeas are packed with nutrients but maybe most notably packed with protein. Some say it’s difficult to find enough protein in plants but chickpeas beg to differ with their 3 grams per ounce. Protein is known for its role in weight control, bone health and maintaining muscle strength.
2. Chickpeas have several properties that may help manage your blood sugar levels. They have a low glycemic index and contain a fair amount of fiber and protein. These factors may help stabilize and even lower bloog sugar levels.
3. Chickpeas are a great source of several minerals, such as magnesium and potassium, which have been studied for their potential to boost heart health. Heart disease is our #1 killer so having chickpeas in the kitchen is never a bad idea.
What You’ll Need For This Recipe
- Masher or fork
- Chickpeas/Garbanzo beans
- Lemon juice
- Vegan mayo (or homemade vegan mayo)
- Red onion
- Sweet or dill pickle relish
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black salt (optional for an “eggier” taste)
How To Make A Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Making a chickpea salad sandwich is simpler than one might think.
First, drain and rinse the chickpeas to place in a medium size bowl and roughly mash about ¾ of the chickpeas with the back of a fork or potato masher.
Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, adding any extra ingredients you like.
Serve on your choice of bread along with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and condiments.
Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Potato Masher or Fork
- 1 can 14 oz chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayo
- 1 Tbsp mustard or dijon mustard
- ¼ cup celery about 2 small stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion about ½ small, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet or dill pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt optional for an “eggier” taste
- salt & pepper to taste
- whole grain bread to serve
- leafy greens to serve
- tomato slices to serve
- pickles to serve
- Drain and rinse chickpeas, place in medium size bowl and roughly mash about ¾ of the chickpeas with the back of a fork or potato masher, until desired consistency.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, adding any extra ingredients you like.
- *Alternatively, you can use a food processor starting with the beans, pulse a few times, add remaining ingredients pulsing again a few times until desired consistency.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serve on bread of choice, along with some leafy greens and tomatoes. I also like to add mustard and any other condiment.
You can also serve on romaine lettuce like a wrap, instead of using bread.
Try serving with sliced fresh veggies like cucumber, red bell peppers, zucchini, etc.
Lastly, pair with your favorite crackers.